Frequently Asked Questions And Answers About Studying Abroad (PART 2)


Frequently Asked Questions And Answers About Study Abroad (PART 2)

We hope you loved the first part of this Article Frequently asked questions and Answers about Study Abroad (PART1) because in this part 2 we will be discussing the rest of other questions that could be bogging your mind about your study abroad that you still do not have answers to. from our previous article we answered the following questions:

  1. Why study abroad?
  2. Where in the world should I study?
  3. How do I get started?
  4.  How long do study abroad programs take?
  5. When can I start applying for study abroad programs?

In this part we will be answering the following questions , we hope to clear every doubt you have about studying abroad .

  • What are the entry requirements for study abroad programs?
  • What documentation should I submit with my application?
  • Do I have to speak a second language to study abroad?
  •  Will I need to attend an admissions interview?
  • After gaining a letter of acceptance, what do I do next?
  •  Do I need to apply for a student visa?
  • How much does it cost to study abroad?
  • Can I get financial aid to study abroad?
  •  Where can I find study abroad scholarships?
  • Where will I live during my study abroad program?
  • Can I work while studying abroad?


Answering these questions above is not based on hear-say but from years of experience and listening to students with the desire of studying abroad but keep wondering if they could ever make out there . my Advice!!! go through these answers and take the bull by the horn because those are the horn are meant for.


What are the entry requirements for study abroad programs?

Different countries and universities have different Entry Requirements therefore be sure to go the every information provided by your prospective university before submitting  anything .

however, if you are applying for an undergraduate degree you will be asked to show that you have completed your secondary education to a standard that is in line with the required grades (e.g. your GPA, A-level grades or equivalent) for the program you’re applying to. If you have an international qualification and are unsure whether this is accepted, you should contact the admissions department of the university.

For non-native English speakers wanting to study in English-speaking countries, it is also highly likely that you’ll need to provide proof of your English-language proficiency by taking an English-language test such as TOEFL or IELTS. Similar tests may be required for those studying in other languages.


What documentation should I submit with my application?

once you have applied ,You may be asked to provide some supporting documentation as part of your application. Once again, requirements vary depending on the country and university, but international students are often asked to provide the following:

  • Passport photos for identification
  • A statement of purpose
  • CV/résumé
  • Academic references/ letters of recommendation
  • Certificate and transcripts of your secondary education
  • Proof of English-language proficiency (e.g. a TOEFL/IELTS certificate, for schools in English-speaking countries), or other language test
  • Admissions test results (e.g. GMAT/GRE results, for graduate programs)


Do I have to speak a second language to study abroad?

Depending on the country you wish to study in  and also the language that the course you are applying for will be taught in . In situations where you are not an English speaker natively and you wish to study in English Language , you will need to provide an English -language test Results , that will ensure you will flow in the course of study without comprehension problems.

English is also used as a language of instruction in a number of other countries worldwide, particularly for graduate programs and business degrees. English-taught courses will be advertised on the university’s website and can sometimes be searched for using a centralized database run by a national agency.

the mostly accepted tests as proof of English proficiency are the TOEFL and IELTS. If you need to prove your proficiency in a language other than English, there are also similar tests in other languages, such as the DELF/DALF and TCF-DAP (French) or the DSF and TestDaF (German).

Before taking a language test, make sure you confirm which results are accepted by your chosen school to make sure you don’t waste money on the wrong test.


Will I need to attend an admissions interview?

well,it is likely for a school you intend to attend will want you to come for an admissions interview  in person especially for most competitive programs. most times , some universities hold their interviews in different locations around the world thus you may be expected to attend one these. There is also a growing trend of using video interviewing. This is like any other interview, with a prearranged time and date, but will take place online, via an application such as Skype.


After gaining a letter of acceptance, what do I do next?

Congratulations, you’re in! Now all that’s left to do is to prepare for your studies, pack up your life into a single (large) suitcase, get your travel documents in order, apply for your student visa, research your accommodation options, and look for funding… don’t panic, it’ll all be worth it!

In fact, as soon as you gain acceptance from a university, the first thing you should start to consider is your travel documentation. Ensure you have a valid passport and travel insurance, as well as a student visa if you need one. Make sure you have sufficient time to get your passport/visa approved so that you’ll be able to travel legally!

For more information on what documentation you’ll need to travel, you should visit the government website of your chosen country to find information for travelers, visitors and international students (e.g. for UK travel information). All the travel information you need should be listed on these official sites.

Alternatively, you can ask your university for guidance. Often, admissions departments will help you to prepare for your travels, and, in some countries, they even apply for the student visa on your behalf. Make sure you check with your university, however – don’t assume someone else is going to sort everything out!

Do I need to apply for a student visa?

YES! the moment you have decided to  study out side your home country you need a student visa especially for those who wish to engage in a long period program greater than 3 months but then if you are on a shorter exchange that will last at most 3 months or less a tourist or visitor visa will do , though not all international students will need one. If you’re an EU citizen planning to study in another EU country, for instance, you do not need the the student visa.

How much does it cost to study abroad?

To work out the cost of studying abroad, you need to consider the average tuition fees for international students in your chosen country, as well as the cost of living.

As a point of reference, the average tuition fees for international students studying in the UK are UK£12,000 (US$18,200) a year, with an additional UK£7,000 (US$10,600) per year needed to cover living costs. In the US, the average yearly cost is US$28,500 with an additional recommended budget of US$15,000 to cover your living costs. With these yearly figures in mind, remember that undergraduate programs in the US tend to last a full four years.

In some countries, there are no tuition fees at all. Notable examples include Germany, where undergraduate-level education is free for all, and a number of the Nordic countries such as Finland.

Can I get financial aid to study abroad?

Although many international students may find it difficult to get a student loan to fund their studies, there are a myriad of other funding opportunities available to make studying abroad more affordable, including scholarships, fellowships, studentships, sponsorships, grants and bursaries.

Your chosen university is perhaps the best place to get funding information relevant to you, so make sure to scour the school’s website for advice, or contact the school directly. This is also where information about study abroad scholarships offered by the university and other external organizations can be found, along with details regarding eligibility and how to apply.

Many scholarships are granted based on academic merit, and are highly competitive. There are also lots of funding schemes targeting specific groups of students, such as students from developing countries and women studying male-dominated subjects.

Where can I find study abroad scholarships?

Study abroad scholarships can be found in many places! Your first port of call will be the website of your chosen university, where you’ll find information on available scholarships. Sometimes the university will also list external scholarships, such as those offered by the government or business partners of the school. If not, you should research governmental schemes in your home country and your country of study, as well as funding offered by external organizations relating to your field of study (e.g. an engineering firm might offer a scholarship for engineering students).

Where will I live during my study abroad program?

If your chosen university has readily available campus accommodation, it is likely that you will be able to apply for a place in these student halls. If this is not the case, you will need to find your own accommodation.

If money is no object, you can consider renting your own flat, while those on a smaller budget can find shared accommodation with other students or use spare room listings found online. In all cases, you should make sure you do your research before signing anything or handing over any money. Your university’s student support team and student union should also offer advice on how to find accommodation locally.

Can I work during my studies abroad?

This will depend on whether or not your student visa allows you to work. In some countries there are restrictions on the amount of paid work you can undertake during your studies; often there’s a limit of 20 hours’ paid work per week during term time, with full-time work permitted during holidays.

If you don’t need a student visa, it is more likely you’ll be able to work as many hours as you like, as long as this doesn’t affect your studies – but check with the university and/or official government site.


If you have any more questions regarding how to study abroad, that haven’t already been addressed, feel free to ask them in the comments below and we’ll get back to you as soon as we can, but then do well to share articles to help a friend in need.


Write a Comment Here