Applications are currently ongoing for the Texas Medical Association Scholarship Program. The Opportunity recognizes Texas medical students who are interested in finding creative and effective ways to enhance patient safety. To eligible, the applicant must be entering their third or fourth year at a Texas medical school in fall 2017, and be able to demonstrate financial need. The TMA provides the best protection and benefits to their policyholders, including a strong claim defense, customized risk management, and enhanced policy features. TMLT will award one $5,000 scholarship to the deserving candidate.
The Texas Medical Association established TMLT In 1979, to provide affordable, reliable coverage against medical liability claims for its members. TMLT is not an insurance company, but a self-insured, not-for-profit trust, led by a Board of Governors who are elected by TMLT policyholders. Today, TMLT has more than 20,000 insureds and covers more physicians in Texas than their next five largest competitors combined.
To be eligible for the scholarship, applicants must:
- Be entering their third or fourth year at a Texas medical school in Fall 2017
- Be able to demonstrate financial need
- Be able to communicate a commitment to patient safety through an essay.
- Governing board members, TMLT committee members, employees, and vendors of Texas Medical Liability Trust, its subsidiaries or affiliated companies and their immediate families (parents and children) and households (those residing at the same address or dwelling) are not eligible for the scholarship
How to Apply:
To apply for the scholarship, the applicant can download the application go through the given link: https://www.tmlt.org/tmlt/dam/jcr:4b447077-a306-4a53-83f5-5e513f8ef1f0/2017%20Scholarship%20Application_fillable.pdf
To apply, students should submit the following:
- A statement of financial need
- A short essay (no more than 500 words) describing the risk management considerations for a closed claim study provided with the application.The essay should be typed (double-spaced) on a separate sheet of paper. Include your name on your essay.
All application materials with the complete application can be sent:
- By email to: sales-at-tmlt.org.
- By mail to: TMLT Attn: Hannah Morgan PO Box 160140 Austin, TX 78716
- Physical address (for applications sent by Federal Express or UPS): TMLT Attn: Hannah Morgan 901 S. Mopac Expressway Bldg 5 Ste 500 Austin, TX 78746
Financial Aid and Award Money:
- TMLT will award one $5,000 scholarship in October 2017 to a Texas medical student. The scholarship recipient will be chosen based on financial need and ability to evaluate and describe patient safety concerns in a case study.
- Scholarship winners will receive scholarship funds upon confirmation of enrollment. Payment will be made through the university/college financial aid office.
Deadline to apply for the scholarship is September 1, 2017, and winners will be announced in October.Materials must be sent by email, U.S. mail, UPS, or Federal Express. Any entry sent/postmarked after September 1, 2017, will not be considered.
Link for More Information:
If you have any questions, contact to Hannah Morgan at 800-580-8658 ext. 5926 or hannah-morgan-at-tmlt.org.